2013-2014 STN Broadcast Excellence Awards
Rules & Regulations
This prestigious international contest honors the top 6 student-produced TV programs. Entries must be an actual broadcast from a typical day in your program. Winners will be announced at the Closing Ceremony of the STN Convention on March 23, 2014 in Orlando, FL. Schools are not required to attend the convention to enter or win this award. There is one winner per category. However, the judges may decide that none of the entries in a category are worthy of the award.
The Rules & Regulations for submission of entries are outlined in this document. Entries that do not adhere to the Rules & Regulations are subject to loss of points and/or disqualification by the judges. All decisions by the judges are final. The Board of Directors of Student Television Network reserves the right to change or amend these Rules & Regulations, at any time, and without notice.
- High School affiliates may enter 1 category per member program. High Schools may not enter the Middle School category.
- Middle School affiliates may only enter the Middle School category, which includes one show of any frequency. Middle Schools may not enter any High School category
- Affiliates may enter their best show that aired between August 1st 2013 and December 11th 2013.
- Affiliate members should not be creating an entry specifically for this contest. Entries must represent a typical broadcast for your program.
- Affiliates may not submit compilation or “Best of” shows; a program entry should not be based on segments taken from previous broadcasts and should not include any entry already submitted in any previous STN contest.
- All shows should be 5-30 minutes in length. Judges are not required to view more than 10 minutes of the show.
- Advisers may not shoot, write or edit any part of an Excellence entry. This is a hands-off contest and must be 100% student produced.
- All Broadcast Excellence entries must be submitted online using the STNUpload System, available by link from the affiliate dashboard. Please follow the directions for entry preparation and upload. Study the compression instructions in advance. We cannot make allowances for technical upload issues.
- Entries must be uploaded by 5pm PST on Dec 11, 2013.
- Contest entries are subject to United States Copyright Laws and may be disqualified or lose points for disregarding these laws. Please refer to the STN website for our copyright policies.
- Any entry found to be in deliberate violation of these rules and regulations, could face sanctions from the STN Board of Directors. Sanctions may include, but are not limited to, a written reprimand sent to the affiliate school's administration, banned from entering STN contests in the future OR removal of STN membership privileges.
- There is a $15 fee for Excellence submissions.
- Daily Live – Taped live and not edited in any way.
- Daily Taped – Edited for broadcast, but submitted as aired.
- Weekly – Live to tape or edited, but submitted as aired. No compilations or “best of” shows. If your show airs more than once a week, but not daily, it should be entered in the weekly category.
- Bi-Monthly – Live to tape or edited, but submitted as aired. No compilations or “best of” shows.
- Monthly – Live to tape or edited, but submitted as aired. No compilations or “best of” shows.
- Middle School – Any Middle School show, of any frequency, may be submitted. Live to tape or edited, but submitted as aired. No compilations or “best of” shows.
Judging the Excellence Award
Entries will be judged by professionals from within the industry. Each entry will receive a written critique. Judges will look for excellent delivery of content, storytelling and appropriate coverage for the show’s target audience. Programs should submit work that has high production value, including lighting, sound, art direction, appropriate use of effects and graphics, editing, on-camera talent and original music. If the judges determine that no entries meet the standard of “excellent”, then no award will be given in that category. All decisions by the judges and STN are final.
Winning entries should meet the following criteria:
- Excellent content and storytelling.
- Excellent production values and creativity.
- Demonstration of journalistic integrity and courage.
- Strong overall impact and professionalism.
For a Printable PDF, Please click here.